Saturday, October 16, 2010

What My Child Is Reading

Little Blue Truck Leads the WayLittle Blue Truck Leads the Way.  For awhile, it seemed like all we read from the library were transportation books.  We were slowly covering the library's entire collection of anything featuring a car, boat, plane, or train!  (You can see all of our previous reviews of books about transportation here).  But the Bibliophile's interests broadened (or, in a sense, narrowed; whenever he searches for car books now, he wants Disney Cars), so it has been awhile since we have brought home a pile of good transportation books.  This one was an unexpected discovery while browsing the shelves during our last visit.  Little Blue Truck visits the big city, and is surprised by the amount of discord and general mayhem he finds.  Soon circumstances allow him to "lead the way," and he brings order to a grateful city.  The Bibliophile loved reading it for a few days (until he suddenly declared that it was time for it to go back to the library).  His favorite part is when Little Blue Truck is referred to as "little beeper," which he thinks is quite amusing.  We will definitely be hunting down the original Little Blue Truck on our next library visit.

And here are a couple of board book titles that the Bibliophile has been happily testing out for the new baby --

Baby Baby Baby!Baby Baby Baby!  by Marilyn Janovitz

This board book is so much fun to read aloud.  The rhythm reminds me a little bit of Baby Danced the Polka, but without the hokey sayings. The illustrations are simple and playful; they star the baby pictured on the cover, doing all sorts of baby things, like crawling, splashing, giggling, and hugging.  The Bibliophile (nearly 3) laughs often as he reads it.  I think it is one he'll enjoy reading to his little sister.

Excerpt:
Bitsy bouncy baby
On a bumpity lap
Mommy's little baby likes to
CLAP
CLAP
CLAP!

That's Not My Dolly (Usborne Touchy Feely)That's Not My Dolly by Fiona Watt.
I haven't read the other board books in this series, but I can see that they would all be a hit with infant bibliophiles.  Usborne "touchy feely" books always are!  I expect we might wear this one out in a few months.






I am linking this post up with What My Child is Reading and Kid Konnection.

Comment! What have you been reading this week?

Disclosure: We were provided a publisher copy of Baby, Baby, Baby! at no cost in order to write the above review.  If you click on any of the links above and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

6 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

I've been meaning to ask you...do you contact the publishers or do you go through a program to rwview books?

bermudaonion said...

I bet my son would have loved The Little Blue Truck Leads the Way! He loved anything about trucks when he was that age.

MaryAnne said...

Emma LOVED the "That's not my..." series as a baby. I haven't read them since - I should check them out for Lily.

Laura Fabiani said...

When they were younger my children loved the Usborne books of the series That's Not My.... They are great touchy-feely books for babies and toddlers.

Julie P. said...

You have some great finds! I think my son would love the Blue Truck books. Thanks for sharing.

Jackie H. said...

Awww, I love baby danced the polka. Hokey sayings and all ;)
You have to try That's not my Truck! It would be right up your son's alley!