Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christmas Pre-K / Kindergarten Craft: Handprint Christmas Trees

Today we did our first Christmas craft of the season: handprint Christmas trees.


Supplies:
red and green fingerpaint
big paper
a willing toddler's hand
brown marker

Squirt paint onto paper plates.  Press your artist's hand into the paint, and make a handprint on your paper.  I found it easiest to make the tree upside-down.  After the first handprint, each of the other handprints will be done at an angle, to create the triangular shape of the Christmas tree.

When you're done, draw in a trunk.

Once the trees are dry, you can decorate them with glitter glue, do-a-dot markers, and Christmas stickers.  I am saving the embellishment step for tomorrow.


Christmas Books

Here are a few of our favorite Christmas books --

Roger Priddy's Sing-along Christmas Carols (comes with a CD)
Sing-along Christmas Carols

The Snowy Day (Jack Ezra Keats)
 The Snowy Day

Dream Snow (Eric Carle)
Dream Snow


Away in a Manger (Thomas Kinkade)
Away in a Manger


and a few other reviews from our archives:
Heart of a Snowman
Amadi's Snowman
Here Comes Santa Claus
Eyelike Nature: Snow (board book)
Slinky Malinski's Christmas Crackers
Christmas Magic
The Nutcracker and the Mouse King

I am linking this post up with Tot Tuesday, STart, Crafty Soiree, Red Ted Art, ABC and 123, Our Worldwide Classroom, and Sunday Best.

Comment: When are you putting up your Christmas tree, if you celebrate the holiday?  I'm aiming for the day after Thanksgiving, but I might jump the gun if we're bored in the next few days.  What are your favorite Christmas books?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we might earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

12 comments:

Christy said...

I love the tree!

I am not ready to switch to Christmas mode until after Thanksgiving! I think it's because I host so I can't think of anything else right now!

MaryAnne said...

Very cute handprint trees! I've done this by tracing the kids' hands on construction paper.

And we plan to put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving - or after our (1pm) Thanksgiving dinner - that will be held at our house, with my sister as the guest! =)

maria said...

I love the hand prints Christmas tree! Very creative and fun project:)

Pam said...

This is so cute!

Two things:
One of our preschool classes made this incredible aquarium, a few months ago, for their wall, by making hand prints and turning them upside down, adding eyes and floating them as octopus and squid. They were A-dorable!

My son, who is two and a half, came home from school, on Monday and said, "I want to be able to do good hand prints with paint. I need to be a little bit older. Yeah, I can't really do them, yet." He was SO concerned! I tried not to laugh and said we'd work on his academic progress over Thanksgiving break. Maybe we'll make a few holiday art pieces inspired by your tree. ;O)

maggy,red ted art said...

Your trees came out so well! I love the two colours! Very pretty!

And what a great selection of books!

Thank you for sharing these with us on Kids Get Crafty!

Maggy

Raising a Happy Child said...

Cute craft! Usually we kick off Christmas season on Dec 1st by putting up Advent calendar. We set the tree on the first weekend of December. However, this year we will set the tree this Thanksgiving weekend because the next weekend is too busy for us. As for books, we read lots of different ones in December - some are Christian and some are not. My favorite is a classic Night Before Christmas - we have three different versions of it by now :)

Eva said...

we don't celebrate christmas but I really like the handprint pine tree! I think I will try one out with my daughter :) thanks for sharing!

Sofia's Ideas said...

That came out so well! I love that its something you'll know you'll enjoy year after year after year! :)

I’m stopping by from No Time For Flash Card’s “Show Us Your Best”. I hope you’ll do the same! You can see read my “best” @ http://sofiasideas.com/2010/11/27/shrink-that-growing-giant-2/
Sofia’s Ideas

kristen said...

Cute! Wonder if my 1 yr old will let me try this with him! lol

Liz said...

Howdy! I am your new follower!

I loved this post and this idea that we did it in our house and here is the link to the post that I gave you credit.

http://www.lil-liz-bits.com/2010/11/handprint-christmas-tree-craft.html

Thanks for the great ideas! Please follow me too!

Liz

Jackie H. said...

SO cute! We are definitely doing this one. Handprint crafts are a staple in our house!

Kylie said...

I love these trees, so cute and a great keepsake. THanks for linking up too!