Saturday, December 18, 2010

Lazy Mom's Gingerbread House

aka Busy Mom's Gingerbread House
aka Gingerbread House for Moms Trapped Under Sleeping Newborns

The Bibliophile is allergic to wheat and egg and milk (and more), and while I could have baked gingerbread that suited his allergies, or specialty ordered an allergy-friendly gingerbread kit ahead of time, this was more our speed this week:



(Sorry, no shot of it decorated!  See title of this post).

It is made with (gluten free) crackers, and a frosting glue of confectioner's sugar and water.  It will not be winning any architectural awards (I ran out of crackers and had to improvise), but much to my delight, it stayed together throughout the decorating process.  He decorated it with frosting, fruit snacks, Enjoy life brand dairy-free chocolate chips, and smarties. 

Happy Holidays!

While we are on the subject, we received our Shutterfly holiday cards (for free, through their blogger program; thank you, Shutterfly!), and they are gorgeous.  Inside is a birth announcement, and this is the cover.  Consider this your card, since I don't have all of your addresses.

The process couldn't have been easier, and they earned at least one new customer -- I've since ordered a few photo mugs as Christmas gifts.  One year, I am definitely going to do calendars.


Comment: Feel free to link up to your gingerbread houses (put us to shame!), or to book recommendations with gingerbread men.  Here is our gingerbread house post from last year.

6 comments:

Raising a Happy Child said...

It's impressive that you still attempted gingerbread houses with a newborn. Anna always has a special playdate during the last week before Christmas to make gingerbread houses - and it's not in our house :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

I did have to assemble it one handed. I need to get this baby to sleep in a swing or seat!

Joyful Learner said...

I hope you don't mind but I left you a comment on your Allergy blog concerning your question.

I love your idea of improvising the gingerbread house. I might have to try that next time with Mary's Crackers. I have unused frosting in the freezer that'll probably work. Just need to find the decorations.

Isn't Shutterfly so smart to offer us free cards? I'm switching over from KodakGallery and purchased calendars for grandparents this year! The quality is better too. Love them!

Christy said...

How's this for lazy mom - I never did the Shutterfly post so I had to pay for my cards and I never got a good photo so I'm using one from the summer?!

Your card is great!

I love the "gingerbread" house!

Jackie H. said...

I agree with the previous comments. That's not lazy. We only made gingerbread men... no houses. I was afraid of all the mess icing glue and falling candy!

Brimful Curiosities said...

We made some graham cracker gingerbread houses this year too. I've never tried making the real gingerbread house...too much work. Maybe when the kids are older.
Here's ours:
http://www.brimfulcuriosities.com/2010/12/graham-cracker-gingerbread-houses.html