Sunday, December 19, 2010

Quick, Healthy Christmas Snack

I've been trying to get up the motivation to make sugar cookies all week.  First I was out of sugar, then oil, and now appropriately cheerful sprinkles.  And somewhere in the stalling, I realized, "nobody is excited about this except me."  And that's OK, but I wondered if there were an easier solution.  I'm always trying to get the (food allergic and picky) Bibliophile to eat a greater variety of foods, and when he took some of my corn tortilla the other night, I started thinking about ways I could incorporate them into his limited diet.  An idea was born.

Today, I cut a few tortillas into wedges and toasted them in the oven with cinnamon and sugar.  He ate the whole plate!  Later, I thought I'd give the Christmas cookie cutters a try on them.


I just cut out the shapes, then sprinkled them with cinnamon and sugar, and baked them for 10 minutes at 400 degrees, or until crunchy.

They cut out so cleanly that I baked the background too, to present to the Bibliophile as a little "puzzle" snack when he wakes up from his nap.  Next time, I'll do this with smaller cutters, so it is more of a puzzle.  I have a feeling I'll be making a lot of these this week.  I always have trouble using up the bags of corn tortillas we buy.

linking up with a Crafty Soiree.

Comment: What quick Christmas treats have you made this week?  

4 comments:

Christy said...

This reminds me that I have a lot of baking to do and should not be sitting in front of the computer!

Yummy treat!

Joyful Learner said...

Great idea! We always end up not finishing our corn tortillas. This would make a wonderful snack!

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is a nice idea! I am sure we will do some baking this week, but we haven't decided on specifics yet :)

Jackie H. said...

Very cute. My little guy loves puzzles- and cinnamon, oh, and sugar- imagine that!