Thursday, January 27, 2011

Nursery Rhyme Books and Companion Activities

An online game reignited the Bibliophile's interest in nursery rhymes last week. We pulled out a couple of nursery rhyme board books, got a new volume of rhymes from the library, and spontaneously added a collection of 100 nursery rhymes to our permanent collection. We also did some companion activities.

Nursery Rhyme Books

Mother Goose Let's Listen: Nursery Rhymes for Listening and Learning: Nursey Rhymes for Listening and Learning
Hickory, Dickory, Dock: And Other Favorite Nursery Rhymes (Padded Nursery Rhyme Board Books)Mother Goose Let's Listen - We were gifted with this when the Bibliophile turned 1, and it has turned into one of my favorite gifts.  I just bought a copy to give to another 1 year old.  It comes with a companion CD.  A great starter book.

Hickory Dickory Dock and Other Nursery Rhymes - Another cute board book of rhymes.

100 Best-Loved Nursery Rhymes

Mother Goose and Friends [MOTHER GOOSE & FRIENDS]100 Best Loved Nursery Rhymes - This is one we picked up at a book fair this week, and I have yet to find a rhyme that is not in it.  

Mother Goose and Friends - a library find also chock full.

There are only minor differences amongst these larger collection books.  I think it is wonderful to own one, but which one seem less important.

Companion Activities (Reading Comprehension)

First, to reinforce reading comprehension, which I really want to be mindful of this year, we sat down together at the computer and searched for clipart to represent different rhymes.  He'd call out a rhyme, I'd ask him what object he thought would be a good one for that rhyme, and we'd search together.  My intention wasn't to find an image of Old King Cole, for instance, but to find objects from the song, so that the activity was based on his comprehension of the song content, rather than memorizing an image.  Anyway, here is what we came up with together:

It includes:
Pail (Jack and Jill)
Plum (Little Jack Horner)
Shoe (There was an old lady who lived in a shoe...)
Woman on horse (Ride a cockhorse to Banbury Cross...)
Horn (Little Boy Blue)
Bread with knife (Little Tommy Tucker)
Egg (Humpty Dumpty)
Fiddlers (Old King Cole)
Candle (Jack Be Nimble)
Sheep (Mary Had a Little Lamb or Little Bo Peep)
Dog (Oh Where Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone or Hey Diddle Diddle the Cat and the Fiddle)

We printed them, and first I pointed to the image and he found the nursery rhyme in the book.  Then, I found a rhyme and he pointed to an image.  Then we cut them out and he put them in the book as bookmarks on the appropriate pages.

Another idea that I think will be fun that I haven't had time to pull together is to gather a bunch of objects and then play with guessing which object goes with which rhyme.

Crafts

I had visions of doing some lovely nursery rhyme related crafts, but he's more of a 5 second crafter, so we just cobbled together extremely quick crafts to serve as "props" as we retell some of the rhymes.

From left to right:
  1. Toy horse (from Banbury cross rhyme.  Use your imagination here.  He was insistent that we use the wiffle ball on a stick rather than making a horse head out of paper or felt!); 
  2. Little Miss Muffet, with spider sticker on her hand; 
  3. Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater's house; 
  4. Little Jack Horner's plum ( "... stuck in his thumb, pulled out a plum, and said "what a good boy am I!"; 
  5. Humpy Dumpty (an old plastic purple easter egg); 
  6. Mary Had a Little Lamb with sheep sticker on hand; 
  7. Jack and his candlestick; 
  8. Mary Mary Quite Contrary (with a flower sticker from her garden).
I also did a "mother goose collage" with him.  We've been working on collages lately, as a way to practice more cutting (one of our 2011 goals).  But this one just consisted of stickers.  I accidentally deleted my photo of it.  Oops.

I may link this post up with Sunday Best.

Comment: Do you have any favorite nursery rhymes or related crafts? I have enjoyed learning some for the first time this week, or relearning ones I hadn't heard in years.

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links above and purchase anything, we may earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

6 comments:

Cristina said...

Banbury Cross? I didn't realize that was a real place or a rhyme! I just go to the Banbury Cross shop to buy donuts!

Infant Bibliophile said...

I had never heard that one either! "Ride a cockhorse to Banbury Cross, to see a fine lady upon a white horse. With rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she will have music wherever she goes."
MMM, donuts. Stupid elimination diet.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We have a big collection of nursery rhymes books and songs. I am not a big fan of some rhymes because I cannot even tell what they really about. But Anna enjoys pulling them out and reading them from time to time - she likes poetry. Adventures in Mommydom had some interesting crafts based on rhymes, but I think that they will be too involved for your house (they were too involved for us). And, by the way, love the horse!

Brimful Curiosities said...

I have many, many, many nursery rhyme books. My son loves "Down by the Station"

TP Craft said...

Oh, I love the print out sheet you did. My son loves nursery rhymes as well. We'll have to make one of our own.

JDaniel4's Mom said...

How wonderful that he selected representations of the nursey rhymes! This is a great idea.