Thursday, January 27, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up

I wanted to post a Weekly Wrap-Up post just so that I'd have an excuse to share these photos. 

Homeschooling of Baby Girl...

Teaching her the alphabet.  (Ever-present exercise ball in the background.)
Reading to his little sister. 
She appears to love books as much as her brother did.  I read six books to her before bed tonight, and she seemed like she would sit there happily all night, batting her hands at the pages and kicking her feet excitedly now and then.  I read a post the other day that suggested that a parent had been silly to think that their child would show any interest in books before age 9 months or so, and it really bothered me all night.  Babies love books!  Or at least mine always have.

Back to the Bibliophile -- Most of our "learning" sort of stuff this week has been related to nursery rhymes, which I posted about yesterday.

We also did another quick space activity, which involved taking steps that approximated the distance between each of the planets (something like 3 from sun to Mercury, and then more like 80 between the outer planets, if I remember correctly).  I think we're slowing down on our space-related activities for now.  I have a few ideas of what to focus on next, but we'll play it by ear.  I am still trying to find my groove as a mother of two.



I am linking this post up with Weekly Wrap-Up, Preschool Corner, and Tot School.


Comment: What have you been up to this week?

Disclosure: If you click on any of the links in this post and purchase anything, we will earn a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

10 comments:

TheRockerMom said...

I know that I used to always read to Robbie while I nursed him. I started pretty much at birth. I read his books, my books... whatever. He has always loved being read to.

Christy said...

Wow, she is getting so big!!! Cute pictures. My babies would sit for hours and let me read to them and they definitely had favorite books too. I think all of the reading I did to them then is why they love books now. When I read things like that, I often think they are written by lazy parents who are trying to make excuses for themselves!!! Ouch - that sounds judgmental, doesn't it?

Raising a Happy Child said...

How cute that IB already teaches Bookworm letters. I was trying to remember if we read to Anna when she was so young and then recalled that we read a lot aloud to each other - both adult books and children books. We started reading to her probably when she was closer to 5 months old and could sit unattended. We are still going strong on space here - Anna is totally fascinated with shuttles and astronauts at the moment and begs to go to the space camp in the summer. I wish we had one!

MaryAnne said...

What a great big brother! I think a lot of babies liking or not liking things has to do with how their parents feel about the activities. A parent reading out of obligation isn't fun; a parent reading out of a passion for reading and doing it as a fun activity together is wonderful!

That said, I think there may be temperamental differences. All three of my kids preferred reading in parallel - where they read one book while I read another - over being read TO. Emma only recently switched over to paying attention to the particular book I'm reading, and Johnny and Lily still prefer parallel reading!

Zoe said...

Not only did my kids love me reading from an early age, it also helped me as a parent, especially with the first when at times I felt like "what on earth am I meant to do with this baby?!" - reading was a way we could be together, happy, relaxed and helped me as a new mum find a rhythm with the baby.

Giggly Girls said...

My kids have always enjoyed books from the start. Whoever wrote that post either never had kids or never read to them.

Joyce said...

Precious photos!! Both my girls love love love to read since they were babies. We read to them every single night. Usually each one picks a book and we read the Bible together, but it ends up being more like 2 or 3 books each because we can't help ourselves. =p

Joyce said...

Precious photos!! Both my girls love love love to read since they were babies. We read to them every single night. Usually each one picks a book and we read the Bible together, but it ends up being more like 2 or 3 books each because we can't help ourselves. =p

Fiona said...

Looks like a fun week! My kids love books too! We have French and English books as my kids are learning both languages :-)

Lois of ChrisitanChildren.info said...

Its good that you put up those cutey photos. Any excuse will do... I am grinning from looking at your wee tot on the couch proped up> we used to prop up my now 14yo like that till he would sliiiddde down. and we'd start all over!