Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A pack of straws saved my life

Because I would have perished if I heard "now what should we do?" one more time today. So when he grabbed a pack of straws from the cupboard and asked me to open them, I told him I had some ideas.

We finally tried straw painting (blowing air through the straw to swirl paint).


Then we pressed coffee filters onto it to make designs (that looked like our salad spinner art - the bibliophile's all time fav craft).


Then we attached straws together to make a long silly straw, and the bibliophile folded it into an M. (No photos).

Then the he insisted he create this mixed media masterpiece:


Then we tried weaving (which tied in nicely to his beginner sewing project this week with a plastic needle, yarn, and gridded rubber drawer liner).


Whew, that all occupied him for at least 20 minutes.

Now what should we do?



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Brimful Curiosities said...

My kids like to blow milk bubbles in a cup, but that gets kind of messy and most parents don't approve.

And your post just inspired me for an activity with my son. I'm going to try to make straw rockets sometime soon, to go along with a rocket book we own. Thanks!

Raising a Happy Child said...

"What will do now?" is such a familiar line in our house. It seems however much we play is never enough. Luckily, it's finally water hose time, at least for the next couple of days. This is the best loved game in our house.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh I LOVE this! We've done this, at school, several times. It's so fun and the kids can really get creative with it. Thanks for sharing. Great pictures! ;O)

Rebecca said...

What a great idea!! Thanks!

ಪುಟ್ಟಿಯ ಅಮ್ಮ/Putti Amma said...

Weaving is such a great idea... should try it.. thanks!

Blow paint is a hit at our home, recently we made faces out of them here
http://puttiprapancha.blogspot.com/2011/04/blow-paint-faces.html