Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review: Every Day on Earth

Every Day On Earth
Did you know that in one day your heart pumps enough blood to fill the tank of a fire engine?  That the nearest black hole is 1,600 light-years away from the Earth?  That your brain comes up with 70,000 thoughts per day?  (Ah, but how many does a mom actually get to finish?).

If not, and you are a random fact aficionado, check out Every Day on Earth, a new release from Scholastic.  Authors Steve and Matthew Murrie have assembled 200 incredible facts into one fun, clever book.  They are organized into 8 categories -- Living Things, Earth, Food, the Human Body, Pop Culture, Space, Technology, and Sports.  Each "fun fact" is given its own page, with a paragraph or two of explanation, which provides good context for the figures.

The book is too old for my son (3 1/2), who doesn't have the relative grasp of the large numbers yet for most of the facts to mean much.  (That didn't damper his excitement when it arrived, however).  I enjoyed it, though, and it is definitely a book that I would have loved when I was at the appropriate age for it (the reading level is age 9-12), so I look forward to him growing into it.

Comment: Are you a fan of quirky facts? Are your kids? 

Disclosure: I was provided a copy of this book from the author at no cost in order to write this review.  If you click on any links in this post and purchase anything, we may recieve a small commission based on our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.

3 comments:

Joyful Learner said...

I'm not much of a quirky facts person but our daughter is! She loves trivia and quirkier the better!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Oh man, I LOVE quirky facts! I love trivia and fun little things. Thanks for sharing this.

MaryAnne said...

I love quirky facts, and I especially would have loved this book when I was 9-12.