Monday, August 22, 2011

Starting Our Adventures with Five in a Row

Today is the first day of our homeschooling "school" year, and I've decided to use the Five in a Row curriculum with the Infant Bibliophile, who is now 3 1/2.  It was kind of an obvious choice for him, but I did debate whether to buy the Five in a Row (Volume 1) or try Before Five in a Row first.  I decided to jump right into Volume 1.  I am supplementing the curriculum with related activities and printables that relate to the book of the week.  Rather than the one-subject-per-day style of Five in a Row, though, we're keeping with our learning boxes, and basically doing every subject every day (I try to keep the drawers full of fun activities/books/videos/worksheets, and he pulls from them whenever he'd like to during the day.  We still do most of them together).  I am also trying to form a local coop that we will meet with weekly to read the book of the week and do a companion activity.  We have 8 moms and 18 kids signed up, but I have no expectations as to how many will really stick with it throughout the year.  

To be honest, I'm not sure I really have regained my will to blog, after the summer break, but I do want to record our activities with Five in a Row, in case I want to revisit them again with my daughter (or the Bibliophile, again).  So, I'll post in a few days about our first "row" -- The Story of Ping!  (Not my favorite book, I'll admit, but I found some real gems when finding companion books about China - the Empty Pot, especially).

Comment!  How has your summer been?  Have you tried Five in a Row?  Have any favorite blogs that you follow that use FIAR?

Disclosure: If you click on any links in this post and purchase anything, we may gain a small commission through our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com.


8 comments:

Christy said...

I haven't tried FIAR, but I would definitely use it if I home schooled. I think it sounds wonderful.

Raising a Happy Child said...

This is awesome! We did try FIAR in the summer, and I decided to continue sort of "relaxed" FIAR during a school year as well. Anna enjoyed the first couple of weeks of it, so hopefully we can keep it going.

Joyful Learner said...

We tried FIAR last year but I was not able to keep up with it. I think part of the reason was because I didn't like the selections. K liked it but it was hard for me to get motivated about the choices. It was also around the time K got into The Magic Treehouse series so we jumped right into that.

Best of luck to your new year! I know many people love FIAR which makes me want to give it a try again.

Here's the link the bread K likes:
http://www.amazon.com/Ener-G-Foods-Light-8-Ounce-Packages/dp/B000FFLXME

Infant Bibliophile said...

I didn't care much for the first book, which made me wonder if I should buy more volumes of the curriculum and really piece together my own schedule, rather than just using the sample one. But then I'd have to read all of the children's books ahead of time. So, we are plugging along. I wish I was more excited about the first book, since that is the one that I will use at our first coop meeting. I don't want to lose everyone because the book isn't great!

Ah, that's the bread we buy too. It's ok toasted and slathered with fake butter, but I don't like it untoasted. I have had great bread from a local bread shop but I can't seem to copy it in my home machine.

Josh Kim & Jedrek said...

We started FIAR this summer. Some of the subject matter has been a little heavy for my 3 year old (especially The Rag Coat, where a little girl's father dies, and Grandfather's Journey, which includes some description of Japan during WW2.) Overall I've been very happy with the curriculum and love that my son begs to do his "lessons." Aside from it being reading based, my favorite aspect is the early introduction to geography.

Ticia said...

I love "The Story of Ping," for some reason it always was a favorite of mine growing up, so probably some people in your coop will enjoy it.

I haven't done Five in a Row, but that's more because I never found a copy to look through before buying online and I just wasn't quite willing to commit without seeing it. I love the idea of it though.

MaryAnne said...

I looked into FIAR at my sister's suggestion, but it was more directed than I was interested in - especially with both Emma and Johnny in public school this fall. I think it's a neat idea, though.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your posts as I'm in the ECE field. I'm always on the lookout for more/new ways to improve early learning. Best of luck!