Saturday, May 26, 2012

Too Young for Harry Potter?

The Infant Bibliophile (currently 4 1/2) discovered Harry Potter in, of all places, the library computer room (where I very rarely let him go... we get enough computer time at home!).  I have the hardcover versions of all but the last volume on my bookshelf, but it was when he saw some older kids playing a computer version that he became curious about the books.  The IB scares somewhat easily, so just describing a few parts of the Harry Potter books was enough to convince him he wasn't ready for them yet.  (We did attempt to read bits of the Tales of Beedle the Bard together).  I read excerpts of my HP copies with him here and there, and we let it go.

And then one day, I came across the Oliver Moon series.


Perfect!  They are Harry-Potter-esque books, without any of the death/evil of HP.  (Don't get me wrong... I am a huge fan of Harry Potter, but just not for my particular 4 year old.)  There are nine Oliver Moon titles available, for $4.99 each, or you can buy the whole collection and save a few dollars.  They can be read in any order.  So far, we've read Oliver Moon and the Potion Commotion, Oliver Moon and the Spell-Off, and Oliver Moon and the Monster Mystery.  We enjoyed the first one we read so much that we finished it in one morning, and then read it again that evening!

Good thing we happen to have a wand handy from our Magic Kit, because it has been getting some good role-playing use lately. :)

Comment!  What is your favorite chapter series for young readers?  We also LOVE the Magic Treehouse series.

Disclosure: If you click on links in this post and purchase anything, we will earn a commission based on our affiliate relationship with Amazon.com and our consultant relationship with Usborne Books & More.


4 comments:

MaryAnne K said...

Have you read any of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books? The first one is particularly fun :)

Infant Bibliophile said...

MaryAnne, no I haven't, but I will now! Thanks!

Joyful Learner said...

Cute picture! I'm always on a look out for new chapter books. We loved MTH series, The Moongobble series and K loved The Secrets of Droon series even though I have not read them. They might be a little scary for 4 years old though. We also like the Andrew Lost series which has a bit of science in it.

Raising a Happy Child said...

We haven't read these series, and I delayed HP for the same reasons (too scary). Mrs Piggle Wiggle is a big hit with Anna, and we are finishing the last book from that series now. She is also a huge fan of Little House books. I think I will try Boxcar Children next and see how it goes.